Monday, April 26, 2010

Favorable Prejudice

Prejudice: any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable

Fact; Everyone is prejudice.

Let me explain. You will never meet anyone who does not have some sort of prejudice towards others. It could be that they are prejudice towards a religion, the way someone dresses or talks, ethnicity or financial status. Most of us have prejudices we are not even aware of. We are either surrounded by those who have the same, so it is not brought to our attention or we are just so over-careful that it causes us to have a prejudice.

Racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Prejudice is often confused with racism, however they are not the same. Having a preconceived opinion or feeling does not imply that you feel superior, whether your opinion or feeling is favorable or unfavorable. Prejudice relates to more than human races or cultural differences. You may even have a prejudice towards an act, style or belief prominant in one race or culture. This does not make you racist unless you feel superior to those acts, styles or beliefs.

We are often misunderstood when it comes to prejudice. I have several prejudices and if you really searched within yourself, you do too. I have a preconceived opinion when I see a large group of guys wearing saggy pants, swearing and being disrespectful. I automatically assume trouble and I lock my doors to be cautious. If this is prominant in a particular race, does it make me racist? No. I am prejudice towards the style of clothes and the actions. I don't feel superior to these people, but I also don't feel safe around them.

Prejudices are also in the picture on a positive note. You could say that a prejudice could be a bias opinion. If my son is in a competition with another child, I want my son to win, so I am prejudice on his behalf. I don't have a preconceived opinion or feeling towards the other child, just my own. My opinion for my son is positive, but still prejudice.

Being prejudice is normal and should be acceptable. Having a prejudice should not imply hatred or anger. The important thing to remember is that prejudice is FAVORABLE just as much as unfavorable. When you hear someone say they have a bias opinion, it is the same as a favorable prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment