Thursday, April 22, 2010

Understanding the Concept

Translate; to explain in terms that can be more easily understood; interpret.

Perception; to recognize, discern, envision, or understand

Think about your most recent conversation and the information you gathered. Was it fact? Was it someone elses understanding of fact? Could pieces of information gotten lost in translation? Or misunderstood?

How many times have you explained something to someone multiple times in multiple ways for them to understand? Maybe it is at work and you are explaining how to do a job, or maybe you are out to eat and you need to explain how to have your order made.

Think of every word you use, with your tone and body language. Could you be misunderstood with the most simple topic? The answer is YES. We are always trying to translate something for someone elses understanding, rarely ever considering what they perceive or understand themselves. For example, I was driving the other day with my husband and son in the car, both of which are giving me constant direction and criticism. I start to feel myself getting aggrevated and think "I know how to drive!" Not once did anyone say that I didn't know how to drive. It was my perception of their translating.

The idea of this blog is to dig deeper on the controversal issues surrounding us by getting feedback on how we are perceived and how we translate opinions, ideas and suggestions. I hope everyone understands the concept now of Translating Perceptions and decides to join in on our mind opening conversations and topics.

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I know exactly what you mean. People can translate the simplest gestures of kindness into something else. I see it all the time and have done it as well. I look foward to many more of your post.

    ~shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job girlie on your first blog...makes a ton of sense..

    ReplyDelete